At the moment, short hair is the epitome of style for women. From celebrities like Taylor Swift and Jennifer Lawrence to fashion icons like Miranda Kerr and Karlie Kloss, stylish women everywhere have gone the chop and opted for a cropped ‘do. Whether you’ve joined the trend or are still toying with the idea, you may be surprised to learn just how versatile this length is. No matter whether you love your curls, like sleek and straight locks, or can’t live without your bangs, short hair offers a number of gorgeous short hairstyles that you can achieve at home.
Short Curly Hairstyles
Curls are a great way to create a sexy, feminine look with short hair. Perfect for evenings out and formal events, here’s two glamorous ways to wear short curls.
1. Old Hollywood Curls
Creating old Hollywood curls is all about creating volume and bounce without any frizz.
How to Style Old Hollywood Curls
- Start by applying a firm-hold mousse to the lengths of your hair.
- Blow-dry hair, working to create volume in the front by either using a round brush or by drying in the opposite direction (part flipped over) to how you want to wear it.
- Flip hair back over to create a deep side part.
- Curl your hair all in the exact same direction towards the side you wish to wear it and spray each section with a workable hairspray. Leave curls to cool in their shape.
- Once cool, brush curls out and start pushing the hair into the shape you would like.
- Tuck or pin the smaller side of hair behind your ear.
- Finish with a workable hairspray that can be continually brushed out.
2. Twist ‘n’ Pin Easy Up-Do
This style is the perfect chic up-do for ladies with short hair.
How to Style Twist ‘n’ Pin Easy Up-Do
- Apply a strong-hold mousse to hair.
- Blast hair until completely dry.
- Curl hair using a small curling wand. Be sure to get in close to the root area.
- Rake out curls with a wide tooth comb.
- Apply texturizing powder.
- Leaving the front sections of hair loose, twist the back into a small bun and secure with pins.
- Pull the front sections of hair back toward the bun and secure with pins.
- Finish with a spray of firm-hold hairspray to keep hair in place.
Short Wavy Hairstyle
Waves have long been a fashion favourite and aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Make the most of this easy and relaxed style with classic beach waves or a simple side braid.
3. Beach Waves
Beach waves aren’t just for long-haired beauties.
How to Style Beach Waves
- Start by spritzing hair with a magnesium-based, sea salt spray.
- Blow-dry hair, starting by blowing the top section of hair in the opposite direction to how it will sit. This will ensure body and volume through the top.
- Rough dry the rest of your hair.
- Create random sections of hair in various sizes.
- Use a flat iron to create a correlated ripple down the length of each section.
- Finish by applying texturizing dust or spray and running through hair with fingers.
4. Simple Side Braid
Wavy hair can look pretty and polished with the addition of a simple side braid.
How to Style Simple Side Braid
- Apply a texturizing cream or gelee from the roots to the ends of washed hair.
- Rough dry hair.
- Part your hair and style the sections you intend to leave out as you wish.
- Braid a section on the side and secure at the end with bobby pins. Try your best to weave the pins into your hair and hide them.
- Take some hair from above where you have secured the braid and place over the pinned section to make it look blended.
- Finish by spraying with a working hairspray.
Short Straight Hairstyles
Short, straight hair lends itself perfectly to sleek and chic styles. Our top tip? Keep hair from looking dull by investing in good hair products that’ll keep hair healthy and create shine.
5. Sleek with Extra Shine
A sleek and shiny bob is always glamorous.
How to Style Sleek with Extra Shine
- Start by prepping hair with a smoothing cream or serum applied to the mids and ends.
- Using a detangling hairbrush, brush your hair smooth.
- Create a well-defined centre or side part.
- If required, flat iron hair by pulling each section directly out from the head, not straight down. This will create a more natural smoothness.
- Finish with some smoothing serum and a spray of workable hairspray.
6. Low Pony
Even with short hair, a chic pony is still possible.
How to Style Low Pony
- Prep hair with a shine serum or smoothing cream.
- Blow-dry smooth and flat, directing the air down the hair shaft.
- Part hair exactly where you want your parting to sit.
- Flat iron hair.
- Apply more shine serum to hair and brush into place using a bristle brush. Ensure that hair is sitting smoothly and is neatly tucked around ears.
- Secure hair in a low pony using a clear elastic band.
- Finish by spraying a workable hairspray and smoothing the surface of hair with a tissue quickly after. Doing so before the product dries will flatten any fuzz and flyaways.
Short Layered Hairstyles
Layered hair provides great lift and texture. Embrace your style with soft, feathered waves or show your rebellious side by creating slicked-back top layers in a daring ‘do.
7. Feathered Waves
Feathered waves is a great, easy style for layered hair.
How to Style Feathered Waves
- Using a light-hold mousse blast dry your hair, smoothing out the front area if it needs shaping.
- Use a conical curling wand to wave hair away from your face. Leave the very ends of hair straight to create the feathered appearance.
- Gently loosen waves by combing through with a wide-tooth comb.
- Apply texturizing dust to the roots.
- Finish with some light pomade in the ends.
8. Slicked-Back Top
This style is the perfect short hair alternative to a fierce, slicked-back, long pony.
How to Style Slicked-Back Top
- Start by applying a firm-hold mousse to clean hair.
- Blow-dry the top of the hair forward to create lift, and the rest of the hair flat and smooth.
- Once hair is completely dry, use the blow-dryer to blast the top back off your face.
- Use hands to apply a wet-look gel or hold serum through the top section of hair.
- Use the blow-dryer to dry and set hair by once again blasting it back off your face.
- Comb the hair back neatly.
- If the pomp requires pinning to keep in place, do so.
- Finish with a spray of strong-hold hairspray.
Short Hairstyles with Bangs
Short hair with bangs provides a striking look. Here are two ways to take that bold cut and make it even more attention-grabbing.
9. Super Curls
Super curls are oh-so-popular right now and look even better with bangs.
How to Style Super Curls
- To successfully pull off this look you will need to have at least a little natural wave or curl to your hair.
- To encourage your natural curl, apply a curl cream and a curl gelee/serum to damp hair.
- Take small sections of hair and twist them into little spirals in all different directions.
- Blow-dry hair using a diffuser to hold frizz at bay. If you don’t have a diffuser attachment, allow hair to air-dry naturally, gently scrunching it with hands as it dries.
- Finishing with a light spritz of sea salt spray or scrunch in a smoothing product if you encounter frizz.
10. Bedhead Piecey Bangs
This bedhead look with bangs takes “I just woke up like this” beauty to a sexy new level.
How to Style Bedhead Piecey Bangs
- Apply a moisturizing mousse with a light hold to clean, damp hair.
- Blow-dry hair starting with your bangs. Set the dryer to a low speed and high heat and use it to completely dry your bangs while directing air downwards.
- Once dry, shape your bangs with hands.
- Dry the rest of your hair with the same settings while softly scrunching hair with hands. (If you have naturally wavy, frizz-free, hair, skip this step and allow hair to air-dry.)
- Finish by spritzing hair lightly with a sea salt spray.