Giving up our summer wardrobe and surrendering to the cold is never an easy task. But although the winter chill has set in and we have well and truly said goodbye to those summer days, it doesn’t necessarily mean we have to say goodbye to our summer clothes.
We have put together some handy ideas that will help transform your summer closet into a winter-friendly one, with just the addition of a few solid investments.
Layers are a key for transitioning your wardrobe and the combinations are endless. Layering is easy and can be done with almost any article of clothing.
Wear a lightweight fitted top (longer than the layer that you’re putting over it) and add a sweater and a scarf. If the layers are lightweight, add a blazer or denim jacket to your outfit. Keep the under-layers more fitted and use a belt for an hourglass silhouette.
Play with texture; it’s best to incorporate a mix of materials when styling a layered look. Avoid using the same fabrics; your look will be heavy and dowdy (which can add the appearance of unwanted weight as well).
Combinations to Try
1. Skirt over pants will edge up your outfit while creating an interesting silhouette.
2. Chunky knit over a shirt – Take a cue from one of our new favorite celebrity style icons and add a crisp collar to amp up a neutral crewneck sweater or provide an unexpected backdrop to a simple shift dress. Go nuts and mix prints with a graphic sweatshirt, sweater, or cardigan. Prints are the new black!
3. Turn a summer dress into winter skirt by adding a cute sweatshirt on top.
4. Try a turtleneck under a shift dress. Trust us, a fitted black turtleneck will be your best friend through the bitterly cold season. You could stack a sweater and coat over it, layer it under a cute dress, or try it solo and tucked into a maxi skirt for a formal occasion.
5. Skirt with knit – Considering England’s rainy, bone-chilling weather, no wonder the British are such experts at layering. Maybe that’s why Alexa Chung has this easy essential in her closet: a pretty, flirty flared skirt. She opted for a black turtleneck and rocker-style moto jacket, but the outfit options are endless. Pair the skirt with a chunky cropped sweater, delicate knit cardigan set, boxy blazer, tailored blouse, or even a crop top.
6. A long sleeve top under overalls and jumpsuits make them more practical in winter.
7. Invest in a great pair of opaque tights to wear under shorts.
8. Add boots and a jacket to your favourite summer maxi skirt.
9. Wearing multiple jackets at ones – try denim jacket with a coat.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.