The best hairstyles tend to be those that offer the classic touch of a traditional cut blended with a modern and innovative edge. The contemporary disconnected undercut fits this description perfectly and is well worth considering for your next trip to the barber shop. Defined by its long top and short sides, this cool cut forgoes fades and gradual changes in length and opts for bold contrast instead. Originally favoured by military men in the 20th century, the disconnected undercut hasn’t lost its tough edge and old-world charm. These days, however, the style is more innovative than ever and can easily be adapted to suit your personal style.
- A standard disconnected undercut looks best when created in a horse-shoe shape, starting from the corners of the hairline and moving around to the back of the head.
- If you plan on parting your undercut hairstyle or styling it to one side, be sure to cut hair slightly longer on the side where you’re parting from to help it sit flat.
- To ensure a clean disconnect, ask for a blunt and obvious distinction between the top and bottom layers.
- Disconnected undercuts tend to look best with plenty of volume on top but can work for thinner stands in shorter lengths.
- The short sides and long top of disconnected undercut styles can often elongate and narrow the silhouette of the head, so be sure that your cut is the most flattering for your face shape.
- Decide how you’ll be styling your hair before getting a disconnected undercut to be sure that it’ll sit as intended once complete.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.