Maxi dresses and skirts have long been a fashion favourite because of their versatility, comfort and their flattering capabilities, but the trend has now evolved to offer fashion lovers a garment that is both comfortable and sexy: side-split maxis.
The beauty of the maxi split trend is that it can be paired with everything from a leather jacket to a silk blouse and can be worn in a variety of different settings. This super chic style is clearly favoured by the Hollywood elite and you’ve no doubt seen celebrities like Rihanna, Taylor Swift and Angelina Jolie rocking this trend. But you can pull it off, too, if you follow a few simple style rules.
- The maxi split tends to look best when paired with a pair of heels to elongate your legs. The best choices to pair with maxi split dresses or skirts are chelsea boots, peep-toe booties or strappy sandals.
- For the perfect daytime look, be sure to pair your maxi split skirts with jersey knits, or crisp blouses. Wear your maxi split dress with strappy sandals, a fedora and an on-trend bucket bag, for that perfect casual, cool look.
- If you are looking for something more sophisticated and polished, opt for a side-split pencil skirt (a heavy material like tweed, wool or cotton will work best) and pair it with a cashmere sweater or a turtleneck for the perfect office ensemble.
- Ensure that the split is the focus of your look. This means that you should tone down the rest of your look and avoid showing any cleavage or too much skin because when it comes to fashion there’s often a fine line between looking trendy and trashy.
- If you want a maxi side-split dress that is simple but also unbelievably chic then opt for a neutral colour and style it with a pair of strappy heels or boots. Keep your accessories to a minimum and your hair and makeup natural.
- When it comes to split maxi skirts, you should always consider the colour and the fabric. Avoid fabrics that will cling to you and instead opt for loose, flowy materials like silk-organza and chiffon.
- Also consider the height of the slit. Ask yourself where you intend to wear the garment and if it would be appropriate. As a good rule of thumb a mid-slit would work nicely (avoid a look like Kendall Jenner’s crystal-embellished Fausto Puglisi gown that she wore to MuchMusic Awards).
- The new boho trend is another trend that has proven popular on the streets and the runways and these gorgeous, lightweight dresses look beautiful with a side-split.
Get The Look
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.