The Dion Lee’s aesthetic is characterised by clean cuts and angular geometry that seems to defy the standard pattern making techniques used to produce a range. The result is a type of uniqueness that has an unmistakable DNA.
The Australian-born designer has been showing in New York since 2013 and Dion Lee’s Spring/Summer 2016 presentation at Milk Studios in Manhattan made a big impression. The beautiful assortment of semi-structured shapes had a strong emphasis on wrapping and weaving with tonal and textural contrasting. Laser cutting and interwoven fringing sat close to the body for contouring in just the right proportions. Jewellery by Sarah and Sebastian was an absolute stand out and was made to tightly outline each models profile. This was heightened by clever hair and make direction that gave this polished collection a slightly tough edge.
Dion Lee’s controlled cutting and sharp looks were accented by hair with a clean texture according to Redken hair director Jon Pulitano. He says that ‘popular shapes such as a loose bun or electric shock texture which has dominated the catwalks last season have now been replaced by a more refined texture with a nod to grunge but more pared back for this season’.
How To Create The Look
1. On damp hair, using your fingers, create an uneven centre part.
2. Apply AERATE 08 Bodifying Cream-Mousse through the hair to create frizz-free body. Select sections and twist away from the face and blow-dry.
3. Lightly brush hair with a soft bristle brush.
4. Lightly spray the hair with IRON SHAPE 11 Finishing Thermal Spray for essential thermal protection. Using a large wand, wrap random mid-length sections of hair around the barrel for a few seconds leaving the ends straight. Focus only on the top layers of the hair. This will create soft, natural looking movement.
5. Apply one pump of ALL SOFT Argan-6 Oil into your hands and fingertips. Distribute the product through the mid-lengths and into the ends as you create a mock ponytail. Release and apply remaining product into the top of the hair.
6. Tuck the side sections of hair behind the ears and finish the look with a light spray of FASHION WORK 12 Versatile Working Spray.